Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Post-Moment

After Barack Hussein Obama said “so help me God,” I went outside to check if the earth had been rent asunder, trees had fallen, buildings had sat on themselves and the sky had cracked open.

Nothing. Traffic was normal; children were still running around and dogs had their noses to various small shrubs. All I could think of was: well, Saddam, are you roaring with laughter? Huge karma joke, this one…

Then I watched as George W. Bush was led to a helicopter and flown away – which was a relief, considering how much of the past week had been spent spinning his “legacy.” I’m inclined to believe that people who do this are trying to cover up the inescapable sense that they had made a mistake or something had gone wrong with what they’d done.

People who hold power convince themselves it will last forever. They should read Shelley's Ozymandias: Round the decay/Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare/The lone and level sands stretch far away… #

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vita brevis, ars longa... life's short, art long. Or one can also translate it as a**holes hang around seemingly forever, messing the world for the rest of us. But they vanish in the end, with not even a whimper.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ninotchka, yes yes yes on Ozymandias. I was just reading and talking about that poem the other day, not related to W. but now I see how fitting it is!

Unknown said...

Deear bjanepr:

Applicable to W. and some people I know. Plus a lot of people I don't know.

I also have a very apropos quotation from the Bhagavad Gita. Something about Time, destroyer of worlds.